Re: Need a way to pass options to libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Need a way to pass options to libtool
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:47:17 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Albert Chin wrote:

On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 03:20:35PM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
Currently Automake Makefiles include text like:

LTCXXCOMPILE = $(LIBTOOL) --mode=compile $(CXX) $(DEFS) \
        $(DEFAULT_INCLUDES) $(INCLUDES) $(AM_CPPFLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS) \
        $(AM_CXXFLAGS) $(CXXFLAGS)

Notice that there is no means provided to add libtool specific
options.  The only means available is for the user to cut-and-past
this chunk into their Makefile.am so that it overrides Automake's
default.  This has long term negative effects for Automake.

Why not:
 AM_CXXFLAGS += [your additions]

It is indeed true that after I posted I realized that my libtool syntax usage was incorrect and that CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS could be used for this purpose. Sorry for the distraction.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden