Re: Subdirectories: automake wants GNU mandatory files in every director

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Subdirectories: automake wants GNU mandatory files in every directory
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:57:48 +0200

* Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote on Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 12:32:06PM CEST:

> I use automake for a project with subdirectories (here a test with a
> dummy program). When I change a Makefile.am in a subdirectory, 'make'
> cannot rebuild the files because it runs automake with the --gnu
> option, which is fine for the topmost directory, but not for
> subdirectories which do not have INSTALL, README, etc.

Since you do not provide nearly enough information to allow me to
know what is going on (a minimal setup Makefile.am's and configure.ac
would be nice), I can only guess that you should be adding the option
foreign to automake's invocation macro in configure.ac, like this:
    AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(foreign)
Alternatively, you could add
    AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = foreign
to every Makefile.am you have.  This is clearly mentined in the docs,
see
    info Automake Options
for more info.

If that was not the case, please be more specific.

Regards,