Re: Automake : how to build subdirectories under the dev tree

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Automake : how to build subdirectories under the dev tree
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:38:00 +0200

>>> "Zoref" == Zoref Inon <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 >> The problem is that I can not find how to direct the automake
 >> to put the objects & binary under specific directories
 >> instead of the current directory.

You can't.  In the GNU build system, the USER decides in which
directory the objects/binaries should be put during the build,
not the developer of the package.

If you run `./configure; make' objects will be output in the
source tree.

If you run `mkdir foo; cd foo; ../configure; make' objects
will be output in foo/.

So if you need two different build for debug and release,
you simply type

  mkdir debug release
  cd debug
  ../configure CPPFLAGS=-DDEBUG # or whatever options you want
  make
  cd ../release
  ../configure
  make