Is it a bug with the latest AUTOMAKE?

From: Avneet Chhabra
Subject: Is it a bug with the latest AUTOMAKE?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 02:39:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have gone through all the mailing archieves related
to solve the issue of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE.

Kindly see below:-

address@hidden ./autogen.sh
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal  --output=aclocal.m4t
autoreconf: `aclocal.m4' is unchanged
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/local/bin/autoconf
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Autoheader
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy
configure.ac:28: version mismatch.  This is Automake
1.8.5, configure.ac:28: but the definition used by
this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE configure.ac:28: comes from
Automake 1.6.3.  You should recreate configure.ac:28:
aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 63
address@hidden

NOW I RUN ACLOCAL AS SUGGESTED ABOVE....

address@hidden
address@hidden Xproto]# pwd
/root/Xproto
address@hidden aclocal -I /root/Xproto
address@hidden

I SEE THE ACLOCAL IS SUCCESSFUL. NOW I RUN AUTOMAKE
BUT STILL IT DOES NOT HELP. I ALSO TRIED RUNNING
AUTORECONF BUT STILL IT DOES NOT HELP. I ALSO MOVED
ALL *.m4 FILES FROM /usr/share/aclocal/ BUT STILL
IT DOES NOT WORK:-

address@hidden automake
configure.ac:28: version mismatch.  This is Automake
1.8.5,
configure.ac:28: but the definition used by this
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.ac:28: comes from Automake 1.6.3.  You
should recreate
configure.ac:28: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run
automake again.
address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.8.5
Written by Tom Tromey <address@hidden>.

This is free software; see the source for copying
conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
address@hidden
address@hidden
address@hidden autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.
This is free software; see the source for copying
conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Does someone on this list help and know the correct
answer?

Thank you,
Avneet