Re: Silent compilation

From: Simon Richter
Subject: Re: Silent compilation
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:13:09 +0200

Hi,

> Simply using the ".SILENT: ..." pseudo-target goes a little too
> far, I would prefer something similar to the behaviour of the
> Linux kernel Makefiles, e.g., printing only the line

>   Compiling foo.c

> when foo.c is compiled.

> Is there a portable way of doing this?

Modifying the rules that are output to silently compile and echo stuff,
sure.

But: Who wants that? When I compile something, I'm always happy to see
the full command line, as it allows me to see missing or wrong flags
instantly, rather than in some misbehaviour later. Even the Linux kernel
has an option to view the full command lines, for exactly that reason.

People that are scared by a compiler command line should not be
compiling stuff themselves, especially since these are usually the
people that compile stuff just because their distribution is not
P4-optimized.

   Simon

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4