Re: Silent compilation

From: Steffen Boerm
Subject: Re: Silent compilation
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 01:02:54 +0200

Hi,

> > Simply using the ".SILENT: ..." pseudo-target goes a little too
> > far, I would prefer something similar to the behaviour of the
> > Linux kernel Makefiles, e.g., printing only the line
>
> >   Compiling foo.c
>
> > when foo.c is compiled.
>
> > Is there a portable way of doing this?
>
> Modifying the rules that are output to silently compile and echo stuff,
> sure.

What is the best way of doing this?

> But: Who wants that? When I compile something, I'm always happy to see
> the full command line, as it allows me to see missing or wrong flags
> instantly, rather than in some misbehaviour later. Even the Linux kernel
> has an option to view the full command lines, for exactly that reason.

Of course I would like to have an _option_ to view the full command line
when porting my library to a new operating environment, but when I'm
working on the C sources, it is much easier to find compiler warnings if
they don't hide among lots of long (more than 500 characters for some
strange libraries on strange systems) compiler command lines.

Best regards,
Steffen 8-)