Re: AutoGen-5.6.2 w/o libxml2 build problem

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: AutoGen-5.6.2 w/o libxml2 build problem
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:46:45 -0700

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> Any recipient of the package should have the ability to become a
> package "maintainer" without removing site/developer specific hacks.

I hadn't considered a "make dist" for copying around a locally "fixed"
version.  Certainly, one cannot really maintain a package for which
they are unable to build all parts.  A reasonable approach hinted at
by Alexandre might be to simply go ahead and make the distribution,
but using rules I wouldn't use to produce a release.  I think I would
alter it so that "make dist" produced a non-release version stamp and
a "make release" would produce a release version stamp, but be disabled
when all functional parts are not being built.  I've printed out his
comments & will cogitate a bit on how to do this.

Thanks to you all!

Regards, Bruce