rsync to copy files?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: rsync to copy files?
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:08:15 -0500 (CDT)

A package I am working with needs to install many large files. In the course of package development it is necessary to execute 'make install' many times. These large files never change.

I have learned that using 'rsync' to copy files improves the install time quite dramatically for repeat installs. Even for files that change sometimes (executables, libraries, formatted documentation), it is quite common for subsequent installs to copy identical files since the files are already built/generated.

Perhaps automake might consider checking for 'rsync' and making use of it if it is available (and works)?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden