Re: rsync to copy files?

From: Volker Boerchers
Subject: Re: rsync to copy files?
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:57:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> * Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 02:16:37AM CEST:

> *snip*
> > >Instead of chasing this solution, try patching autoconf to use 'cp -u'
> > >instead of 'install'.
> >
> > I was not aware of this cp option. It seems to be limited to GNU
> > cp.  On Linux systems, or systems where GNU cp is available, this
> > seems like a reasonable choice.
>
> If you change the install semantics, please consider keeping the
> 'one install line echoed per file' rule.  Please also make the new
> behavior (e.g. not overwriting files with newer timestamp) optional,
> the default being the old behavior.  Otherwise, hard-to-debug
> failures could occur.

an easy way to replace 'install' is to overwrite the INSTALL variable
temporarily (at least with gnu make):

  make INSTALL=myinstall install

where myinstall could be a little shell script that accomodates the
replacement to 'install', e.g. handles the commandline options in the
right way.

This way we regularly replace install by ln (hardlink) where possible
(same filesystem and partition) saving time and disk space.

Volker
--
Volker Börchers
TECON Systems AG, http://www.tecon.de