Setting LC_ALL (i18n issues)

From: David Ayers
Subject: Setting LC_ALL (i18n issues)
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:37:13 +0200

Hello all,

please excuse the cross post and feel free to remove the inappropriate list on replies, but I really can't decide on where to post this question.

When running dejagnu tests many projects emit localized messages which will fail on most locales due to the fact that the tests scanning the output are written for one particular locale. I was thinking of inserting an explicit LC_ALL=C within makefile rule that runs the tests:

yet when trying to follow through on that, I noticed that certain parts of gcc (well more specifically the runtime libraries) used automake generated Makefile.in's that look like...:

check-DEJAGNU: site.exp
        srcdir=`$(am__cd) $(srcdir) && pwd`; export srcdir; \
        EXPECT=$(EXPECT); export EXPECT; \
        runtest=$(RUNTEST); \
        if $(SHELL) -c "$$runtest --version" > /dev/null 2>&1; then \
          l='$(DEJATOOL)'; for tool in $$l; do \
            $$runtest $(AM_RUNTESTFLAGS) $(RUNTESTDEFAULTFLAGS)
$(RUNTESTFLAGS); \
          done; \
        else echo "WARNING: could not find \`runtest'" 1>&2; :;\
        fi

and I couldn't identify a way to insert the LC_ALL=C there.

Then I looked at a way to use *.exp (by testing with a ~/.dejagnurc which contained "set LC_ALL C") with no avail.

I'm sure, I'm not the first one to bring this up, but
info automake, info dejagnu and the mailing lists archives of both projects didn't point me into the right direction.

Could someone hit me with a clue stick on how this should be handled?

Cheers,
David Ayers