Re: non-recursive make and tests

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: non-recursive make and tests
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:08:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

The $(srcdir) value passed is often essentially useless since it may just be '.'. It is difficult for the Makefile to produce better values except for perhaps offsets from @abs_top_srcdir@ and @abs_top_builddir@ substitutions. It may also be possible to play games by passing back-ticked shell script fragments rather than normal values in the TESTS_ENVIRONMENT specification.

Regardless, the tests themselves should not have to know their position in the source or build tree.

If I add this sort of junk to the top of my test scripts then they seem to pass the tests:

set -e
SRCDIR=`dirname $0`
SRCDIR=`cd $SRCDIR && pwd`
TOPSRCDIR=`cd $srcdir && pwd`
cd utilities || exit 1

MODEL_MIFF="${TOPSRCDIR}/Magick++/demo/model.miff"
.
.
.

Without the pwd's distcheck can't pass since srcdir may be passed as a useless '.'.

Unfortunately, with hundreds of such scripts, altering the test environment to convert to a non-recursive make is quite a penalty.

Many scripts could be one-liners if Automake can produce a per-directory test environment.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden