libtool (automake?) strange problem

From: Xavier Décoret
Subject: libtool (automake?) strange problem
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 00:02:43 +0200

On one of my machine, a full build tree that otherwise works well, gives me the following weird problem:

shared libraries are installed without the .so extension ?!??!

Has anybody encountered this before? It used to work on this machine, I changed some stuff (that I cannot backtrace) and now it does not work anymore but it works on other machines ?!?!

PS: I am not doing any fancy stuff with libtool or whatsoever.