Re: Feature request

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Feature request
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:56:56 +0100

Albert Chin wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 02:49:05PM +0100, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
>
>>It may be small consolation, but the next release of GNU m4 has the last
>>bit of functionality required to eliminate aclocal entirely.
>
> How does it do that? If the .m4 files for libtool 1.4 are in
> /opt/libtool14 and the .m4 files for libtool 1.5 are in
> /opt/libtool15, I'd still like an environment variable that defines
> the .m4 search path. Or, does this then become an autoconf problem and
> not an automake one because of the new GNU m4 feature?

The latter.

I suspect that unless you write a patch yourself, the automake guys are
unlikely to work on a feature for aclocal when it is destined for /dev/null.

I called it a small consolation because the autoconf guys are not yet quite
ready to subsume aclocal's funtionality into autoconf itself, so they probably
aren't in a position to accept patches either :-(

I do agree that when autoconf is setting the M4PATH, it should take notice of
an AC_MACRO_PATH environment setting or similar.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--
Gary V. Vaughan      ())_.  address@hidden,gnu.org}