Compiling large number of files

From: v p
Subject: Compiling large number of files
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:08:54 -0700

Hi Guys,
I have a question. I am using autotools to build my static library.
The way I do it is, I have a Makefile.am as
lib_LIBRARIES = libmylib.a
libmylib_a_SOURCES = xyz.c abc.c etc.

The problem is the number of source files is huge (1659 files to be
precise) and that's why it takes a lot of time to compile all this.
When I run the generated makefile, I see 'gcc' being invoked for each
of the source files. Loading 'gcc' into memory for each file is a time
consuming process, and it is possible to compile more than one file at
a time using gcc. If I could make generated makefile do this, my build
process will be much faster. Is there any way to achieve this using
Makefile.am and automake.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

-Vishal Phirke