Re: Trouble with MSVC `cl -c -o ...'

From: Milan Tichy
Subject: Re: Trouble with MSVC `cl -c -o ...'
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:02:45 +0100

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

If this wrapper works so well, maybe it can be contributed to libtool?

I'm not sure if this is appropriate to this list. However I don't think
it is really necessary. When I use Libtool together with `cl', Libtool
"knows itself" that it should use
`lib /out:... ...' There were just two problems I encountered:
A) If I used quite complex structure of sublibs there were problems with
extracting objects from the archive while creating a top level target
archive.
The example given in '7.3.5 Libtool Convenience Libraries' of Automake
manual worked fine. However if there were some sublibs in the same
directory as "upper level" lib it didn't work. Similar to this
     # -- sub2/Makefile.am --
     # showing nested convenience libraries
     noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libsub2.la
     libsub2_la_SOURCES =
     libsub2_la_LIBADD = \
       libsub21.la \
       libsub22.la
Solution: Don't do it. When I use subdirs it works fine.
B) I couldn't find out how to path any extra options to the `lib' program
through libtool (or configure?).
Solution: I don't know; I don't need it now.

It would be nice to make Libtool to create w32 DLL's somehow
(semi-)automatically but it's perhaps another story...

Cheers,

Milan