Re: Getting web content past distcheck

From: John Kodis
Subject: Re: Getting web content past distcheck
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:55:42 -0400

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 06:26:20AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
You only need to apply DESTDIR if you are using custom installation
rules

Yes, I noticed that behavior and wondered about it.  I don't recall
seeing it documented anywhere, so I was unsure about when the DESTDIR
prefix was required and when it got automatically applied.  Thanks for
clearing that up.
However, the cause of your issue is lurking elsewhere. One of the
checks, "make distcheck" executes, basically is

make prefix=<somewhere>/_inst install

This requires you to let $(WEBDIR) default to a directory containing
$(prefix) in its root. For example you could use something similar to
this in your configure.ac:

WEBDIR=${WEBDIR-\$(pkgdatadir)}
AC_SUBST(WEBDIR,$WEBDIR)

That does the trick.  I was becoming convinced that I'd have to get
one of the built-in destination directories involved in the process
somehow, but couldn't work out the approach to take.  Thanks again.

One question though.  Although this works, it uses the presence or
absence of the WEBDIR variable to signal the difference between a
"real" make install and a make install done as part of the make
distcheck process.  One consequence of this is that I can't provide a
default value for WEBDIR, since that would override the use of
$pkgdatadir.

It seems that it would be cleaner if I could test for a distcheck run
and special case it.  I tried the obvious but unsuccessful approach of
checking for $dc_destdir:

   - WEBDIR=${WEBDIR-\$(pkgdatadir)}
   + test "$dc_destdir" && WEBDIR=$pkgdatadir

... but it seems that $dc_destdir doesn't get set when doing the
./configure step.  Is there some variable or other test that can be
used to determine when a make distcheck is being performed?

-- John Kodis.