Re: LIBOBJS problem with automake 1.8

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: LIBOBJS problem with automake 1.8
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:05:31 +0200

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 04:35:26PM +0200, Peter Simons wrote:
> Alexandre Duret-Lutz writes:
>
>  > It occured to me that maybe you were trying to use
>  > $(LIBOBJS) outside of libgetopt/Makefile.am. Don't.
>  > $(LIBOBJS) is expected to be used only in the directory
>  > holding the substitute sources.
>
> So I need to add a Makefile.am _and_ and a configure.ac file
> to the libgetopt directory? For two little files which don't
> need any of that at all? Ugh. :-(

You don't need a configure.ac in that directory.  It does not matter
where you define LIBOBJS (i.e. where the call to AC_LIBOBJ is), only
where you use it.

Please pick any project like coreutils, tar, or texinfo and see how
LIBOBJS is usually used (AC_LIBOBJ or friends in configure.ac, and
$(LIBOBJS) in lib/Makefile.am).