Re: License of m4/ltoptions.m4

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: License of m4/ltoptions.m4
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:54:47 +0100

>>> "Gary" == Gary V Vaughan <address@hidden> writes:

 Gary> Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
[...]
 >> I don't understand the intent of "as input to GNU Autoconf, GNU
 >> Automake, or GNU Libtool".  AFAICT Libtool does not input m4
 >> files, only the Autoconf tools and aclocal do.

 Gary> Just trying to cover all bases to avoid more pain for future autotools
 Gary> versions.  Note that libtoolize does actually read through aclocal.m4
 Gary> and any files it m4_includes to find a few directory paths and decide
 Gary> whether to copy particular files.

But none of the path you are looking for are specified in user
files, not those we are considering.  Also that argument would
apply to Gettext as well, and maybe several other tools.  We
cannot list all of them and should not discriminate some of
them.

 Gary> The use of GNU Autoconf is to prevent someone creating their
 Gary> own tool and calling that Autoconf to circumvent the license.

I don't have a problem with GNU Autoconf, only GNU Libtool :)
(And to some extent with GNU Automake too, but I can understand
it in some way.)
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz