Re: Disabling optimization

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: Disabling optimization
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:43:07 +0000

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 09:43:30AM -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> >>  aCC: warning 901: unknown option: `-0': use +help for online
> >>  documentation.
> >
> >I don't remember the last time I wrote anything that worked on HP-UX;
> >it's certainly not a platform I have any interest in supporting. I
> >mean, geez, next you'll be complaining that it doesn't work on VMS.
> >
> >If you're going to deal with freakish systems like this, then yes,
> >you're going to have to go to the lowest-common-denominator. But
> >that's no reason why those of us not stuck in the 1980s should care.
> >
> >For any feature you care to consider, ABSOLUTELY ANY FEATURE YOU HAVE
> >EVER USED, there exists a platform on which it does not work. That
> >does not mean you should not write any code.
>
> While I agree that from certain programming standpoints HP-UX leaves
> much to be desired it also happens to be one of the current dominant
> OSs of choice for big-iron Unix systems, and is therefore not an
> obscure "freakish" system.

All the HP-UX sysadmins I've encountered disagree with you on both
points (although 'dominant OSs of choice for <arbitrary undefined
group>' can mean just about anything). They generally only use it
because either (a) they can't afford a hardware upgrade, or (b) they
have some weird proprietary application that won't run on anything
else.

> My software works fine under HP-UX.  You software should work under
> HP-UX as well.

What for? Nobody wants to use it there. It's a far better use of time
to do things people actually want.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |