Re: Disabling optimization

From: jfasch
Subject: Re: Disabling optimization
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:58:58 +0100 (CET)

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> writes:

Andrew> Uh, that made no sense at all. Are you saying that you should not
Andrew> write code, because it's not possible to write code that works on
Andrew> every platform?

>> What he is trying to say (I believe) is that it is not a good habit to
>> write nonportable code because you are too lazy to even think about
>> portability, and to try to persuade other to do so as well. The former
>> is your own problem, while the latter is not.

Andrew> It's certainly not a good habit to write lousy code because you're too
Andrew> lazy to consider which platforms your application is going to run on,
Andrew> or to persuade other people to write lousy code because your platform
Andrew> is crippled.

I'm not a particular fan of HP-UX, but I still don't see why the lack
of the native compiler's -O0 option would render a platform crippled.

Joerg