Re: Error because README is missing

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Error because README is missing
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:45:56 +0100

>>> "Paul" == Paul Smith <address@hidden> writes:

 > %% Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:
 >>> I need a way to have a file marked as a config file, but not have
 >>> configure (or automake) fail if the .in input file doesn't exist.

 ad> Hm...  What is the service you are expecting?  You say that
 ad> configure shouldn't fail, but if it's a config file, configure is
 ad> expected to fail.  Unless you do mean configure, and not
 ad> config.status?

 > When I first check out my code from CVS, I don't have a build.sh.in
 > file.  That file is autogenerated as part of the build process, from a
 > template file.

If you have a bootstrap script, why wouldn't it create a fake file,
run autoreconf, and them create the right file?

Do you run autoreconf several times?  It seems so, since that's what
implied Andreas' solution.

Finally, note that you are allowed to ask config.status to perform
substitutions on files it doesn't know[1].  In your case, I'm unsure
binding the instantiation to configure instead of make is right.

An example: in autoconf's tree.

src/ace/_build % ./config.status --help                          nostromo 17:45
`config.status' instantiates files from templates according to the
current configuration.

Usage: ./config.status [OPTIONS] [FILE]...

  -h, --help       print this help, then exit
  -V, --version    print version number, then exit
  -q, --quiet      do not print progress messages
  -d, --debug      don't remove temporary files
      --recheck    update config.status by reconfiguring in the same conditions
  --file=FILE[:TEMPLATE]
                   instantiate the configuration file FILE

Configuration files:
 config/Makefile tests/Makefile tests/atlocal tests/autoconf:tests/wrapper.in
tests/autoheader:tests/wrapper.in tests/autom4te:tests/wrapper.in
tests/autoreconf:tests/wrapper.in tests/autoscan:tests/wrapper.in
tests/autoupdate:tests/wrapper.in tests/ifnames:tests/wrapper.in man/Makefile
lib/emacs/Makefile Makefile doc/Makefile lib/Makefile lib/Autom4te/Makefile
lib/autoscan/Makefile lib/m4sugar/Makefile lib/autoconf/Makefile
lib/autotest/Makefile bin/Makefile

Configuration commands:
 tests/atconfig

Report bugs to <address@hidden>.
src/ace/_build % echo "@srcdir@" > foo.in                        nostromo 17:45
src/ace/_build % ./config.status --file=foo                      nostromo 17:45
config.status: creating foo
src/ace/_build % cat foo                                         nostromo 17:45
..