Re: Relative path in CPPFLAGS and distcheck

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: Relative path in CPPFLAGS and distcheck
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 06:36:21 +0100

[Please reply to address@hidden

>>> "Robert" == Robert Lowe <address@hidden> writes:

 Robert> Hi!
 Robert> I have a set of common headers files in includes/ and the following
 Robert> line in configure.ac:

 Robert> AC_SUBST(CPPFLAGS,[-I../includes])

Should be
  AC_SUBST([AM_CPPFLAGS], ['-I$(top_srcdir)/includes'])
or
  AC_SUBST([AM_CPPFLAGS], ['-I$(top_srcdir)/includes
-I$(top_builddir)/includes'])
if you have built headers.

See the thread "RFC for new FAQ entry: Flag Variables Ordering"
on the Automake lists to understand why redefining plain
CPPFLAGS is wrong.

 Robert> ...since all source files are in parallel directories.

(The above doesn't require this.)

[...]

 Robert> Also, is it perfectly legit to list these files in the top-level
 Robert> Makefile.am as EXTRA_DIST, rather than explicitly listing this
 Robert> subdirectory, adding a Makefile.am there, ... since there's
 Robert> nothing to build there?

Yes.  However you'd better use noinst_HEADERS instead of
EXTRA_DIST so that `make tags' and friends process the headers.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz