Re: configure-generated *.in's

From: J.T. Conklin
Subject: Re: configure-generated *.in's
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:56:31 -0800

Stepan Kasal <address@hidden> writes:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 08:19:41PM -0800, J.T. Conklin wrote:
>> However, if I add foo.pc to AC_CONFIG_FILES, autoconf complains that
>> foo.pc.in does not exist (which it does not).  However, if I omit it,
>> foo.pc.in is generated at configure-time, but foo.pc is not.
>
> If I add a file name to AC_CONFIG_FILES, my autoconf 2.59 doesn't complain.
> Which version do you use?

I'm using autoconf 2.59 too.

I've since learned that the problem isn't in autoconf, but in
automake.  There appears to be no way to tell automake that a
AC_CONFIG_FILE file will be generated earlier in the configure script,
so rewrite_inputs_into_dependencies() fails when it can't find the
foo.pc.in file.

> Of course, when I run the configure script and the .in file is not available
> at the moment AC_OUTPUT is executed, configure fails.

The AC_CONFIG_PKGCONFIG_IN macro generates foo.pc.in file at the time
it's invoked, so that shouldn't be a problem, assuming I can get the
autotools to cooperate.

    --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin