Re: automake/autoreconf: Incomprehensible error messages bugs

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: automake/autoreconf: Incomprehensible error messages bugs
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:31:55 -0800

On Tuesday 25 January 2005 01:47 pm, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
>  Bruce> Um, okay, but if automake is going to emit the message, then it only
>  Bruce> makes sense (to me) that automake include the documentation.
>
> That would make sense to me too.  However automake is not
> emitting the message, autoreconf does.  Actually automake knows
> nothing about AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION: it's none of its business.

OK.  I was confusing the two.  The autoreconf manual, then.  :)

> Maybe the autoreconf documentation should point to the Gettext
> manual.  Care to patch the Autoconf manual?

OK.  Maybe sometime soon.  ;-D  In any event, if autoreconf code validates
the context for AM_GNU_GETTEXT, then I'd information about what it is
validating, why, give hints and *then* refer the reader to gettext docs.

>  Bruce> Also, if you're going to have a AM_GNU_GETTEXT example
>  Bruce> in the doc, wouldn't it also make sense to have a
>  Bruce> correct example?
>
> Yes!  I believe you are talking about the GNU Hello example
> included in the Automake manual.

I simply did a search on "AM_GNU_GETTEXT" in the automake
manual and wound up whereever it was I wound up.  :)  I guess
now that was the GNU Hello example page....Anyway, if the
macro starts with "AM_" and is an official macro, then it needs
to be in automake docs, too, even if little more than hints and
pointers.

> Things are moving, but slowly.
>
> Please see (in that order):
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-utils/2004-11/msg00099.html
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-hello/2004-12/msg00008.html
>   http://www-src.lip6.fr/homepages/Alexandre.Duret-Lutz/autotools.html

Karl Berry wrote me to see if I could come up with a recommended way of
doing a trivial config file for the "Hello, world" configurables.  [[It seems a
bit out of hand for "Hello, world" to require configurable options, but then
it is intended as example code....]]

Cheers & thanks, all.  - Bruce