GNU sed version 4.1.3 is not an alpha release

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: GNU sed version 4.1.3 is not an alpha release
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:37:59 +0100

Hi,
  I have noticed that sed-4.1.3.tar.gz contains README-alpha, though
it is distributed via ftp.gnu.org, so it is probably not meant as an
alpha release.
  This is a consequence of the `gnits' option to automake, which
implies readme-alpha.  Versions looking like MAJOR.MINOR.MICRO are
considered alpha releases.
  I'd be glad if this behaviour of automake could be modified somehow;
I would also like to use the readme-alpha option with GNU grep, but
I cannot, since GNU grep also adopted the habit of using numbers like
2.4.2 for non-alpha releases.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan