Re: python.m4

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: python.m4
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:15:02 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 04:25:19PM -0500, Robert White wrote:
> Within the python.m4 source, there is this statement, "Another macro is
> required to find the appropriate flags to compile extension modules.".

my understanding is that this sentence simply declares that
AM_PATH_PYTHON is not aspiring to do this.  If it were meant as a
reference, it would surely say what it refers to.

When you look at the autoconf macro archive,
http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/macros-by-category.html#INSTALLEDPACKAGES
you'll find several macros for Python.
It is quite possible that their quality is varying, but anyway, they could
help you.  Please send comments to the address@hidden list,
so that the obsolete ones can be marked as such.

If you end up writing something usable, please donate it back to the
ac-archive, or even to the Automake.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan