Re: Running ./config.status

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Running ./config.status
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 13:01:20 -0800

> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 02:49:29PM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> So adding $(SHELL) might not be wrong.

But SHELL might disagree with CONFIG_SHELL; the latter is used to run
config.status.  So adding $(SHELL) might be wrong.

Noah Misch <address@hidden> writes:

> I suspect more systems still in use truncate #! than execute
> scripts by running them through csh.

I agree, but the old csh-based systems have been dead for 20 years.
The truncation-based systems have been dead for 10, unless you insist
on reallly long (>64-byte) file names for standard shells, which is
obviously lunatic.

So these days, I suspect that SHELL != CONFIG_SHELL mismatch is the
greatest problem here.

However, this discussion is inclining me to say that it's not pressing
to change Autoconf to behave like Automake (or vice versa) when there
are reasonable arguments either way.  Let's leave it alone until
someone actually runs into a problem.