Re: Automake and bison/flex sources

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Automake and bison/flex sources
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 15:17:12 -0700

Oliver Boris Fischer wrote:
> my project contains of some bison and flex files. It seems so, that
> automake will distribute the genrated c files.
>
> Is this intended? How can I turn this off without abusing CLEAN_FILES
> and co?

Yes, that is intentional.  The documentation for automake says:

     The intermediate files generated by `yacc' (or `lex') will be
  included in any distribution that is made.  That way the user doesn't
  need to have `yacc' or `lex'.

Note that if the source files are modified then the automake generated
makefile will attempt to regenerate those generated files.  But
normally in a distribution image the user would not be required to
have yacc or lex (bison or flex) installed because the generated files
already exist.  Only the C compiler would be required.

Bob