Re: Conditional install of files and warning in make dist

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: Re: Conditional install of files and warning in make dist
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 07:44:48 -0800

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:59:27AM +0100, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 01:51:02PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> >   make[1]: *** No rule to make target `api.html', needed by `all-am'.  Stop.
>
> so write the rule, so it works at your machine.

That's what I used to have.  I had a somewhat complex set of rules and
timestamp files to determine when a output html docs was out of date,
and then if any were out of date or missing then it would run the doc
building program.

I can work around this with a --disable-docs configure option, but I
was wondering if I could make it automatic.

Here's how I'm currently building the tarball

    cd $builddir
    $srcdir/configure
    make_html_docs --src=$srcdir --output=$builddir/html
    make distcheck

So the html docs end up in the build directory.

So, really what I want to do is:

1) if the html docs are in the source tree, install them.  This the
case when someone builds from a tarball (produced like above).

2) if the docs are not in the source tree (when using the cvs version)
only install the docs if found in the build dir.  But if not found
just ignore, don't error.

3) do not allow make dist to run if the html docs are not available.
Don't want to create a tarball without the html docs.

I guess configure could look for the "make_html_docs" program and then
always run that when running make or if any of the html docs are
missing.  That's kind of what I was doing before, but I was explicitly
listing all the source files and then I'm back to my original
makefile.  That's probably best way to go.

I still need step 3.  Can I prevent running "make dist" if BUILDDOCS is false?

Here's my old Makefile.am, if wondering:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/swishe/swish-e/html/Makefile.am?rev=1.14.2.2&view=markup

--
Bill Moseley
address@hidden