Re: Variable substitution @libexecdir@

From: Leonardo Boiko
Subject: Re: Variable substitution @libexecdir@
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:14:36 -0400

Bill Moseley wrote:
and then configure outputs Makefile with substitutions:

  libexecdir = ${exec_prefix}/lib/${PACKAGE}

Why doesn't it output this?

  libexecdir = /usr/local/lib/foopackage

Is that because DISTDIR could be set at make install?

Yes.  It's a GNU standard requirement, and it's a FAQ.  It seems that
the Autoconf manual for the latest version is not online, but here's the
node for 2.57:

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.57/html_node/autoconf_179.html#SEC179

If that's the only case then I can expand that at configure time and let
configure
make my substitutions.  I just want to make sure there wasn't some
other reason.

I don't know of any other.  While expanding it at configure time is an
option, you should take a look at the FAQ and at the node "Installation
Directory Variables" of the Autoconf manual.  One of the suggestions is
substituting through sed at make time, similar to what you did.
--
Leonardo Boiko