Migriting from qmake to autotools

From: Juan Luis Baptiste
Subject: Migriting from qmake to autotools
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 02:05:06 -0500

Hi,

I'm in the process of migrating a qmake based project to autotools, but It
haven't been that easy as I thought.

In a first version of the project, all the sources where under a src
directory, so writing a Makefile.am file was fairly trivial and the project
compiled fine. Now, the sources under src have been grouped in
subdirectories.  My Makefile.am is the following:

INCLUDES = $(all_includes) -I../src
METASOURCES = AUTO
bin_PROGRAMS = ktoon
ktoon_LDFLAGS = $(all_libraries) -lGLU -lGL -lming
ktoon_LDADD = $(LIB_KDEUI) $(OBJECTS)
ktoon_SOURCES = store/animation.cpp store/brush.cpp \
        store/camera.cpp store/color.cpp store/document.cpp store/gldrawing.cpp
\
        store/keyframe.cpp store/layer.cpp store/palette.cpp store/point3d.cpp
store/scene.cpp \
        store/soundclip.cpp store/soundlayer.cpp store/status.cpp
store/librarydata.cpp \
        store/item.cpp store/folder.cpp store/symbol.cpp brushes/brushes.cpp \
        color/colorcells.cpp color/colordisplay.cpp
color/colorgradientselector.cpp \
        color/colormixer.cpp color/colorpalette.cpp color/custompalette.cpp
color/valueselector.cpp \
        color/gradientswitch.cpp color/gradientviewer.cpp color/fillcolor.cpp
color/outlinecolor.cpp \
        exposure/esframe.cpp exposure/eslayer.cpp exposure/exposuresheet.cpp
exposure/ilayer.cpp \
        gl/glbitmap.cpp gl/drawingarea.cpp gl/glbrush.cpp gl/glcontrol.cpp
gl/glellipse.cpp \
        gl/glgraphiccomponent.cpp gl/glgrid.cpp gl/glline.cpp gl/glpencil.cpp
gl/glpen.cpp \
        gl/glrectangle.cpp gl/glimage.cpp cameras/glrendercamerapreview.cpp \
        cameras/glsidecameraview.cpp cameras/gltopcameraview.cpp
modal/preferences.cpp modal/properties.cpp \
        modal/about.cpp modal/splash.cpp modal/import.cpp modal/export.cpp
scenes/scenes.cpp \
        timeline/timeline.cpp timeline/tlframe.cpp timeline/tlframesequence.cpp
\
        timeline/tlframesequencelayout.cpp timeline/tlframesequencemanager.cpp
timeline/tllayer.cpp \
        timeline/tllayermanager.cpp timeline/tllayersequence.cpp
timeline/tlruler.cpp
\
        timeline/soundwidget.cpp tools/tools.cpp main.cpp ktoon.cpp \
        images/images.cpp library/library.cpp \
        library/symbolview.cpp library/symboltable.cpp library/symbolitem.cpp \
        properties/ellipseproperties.cpp properties/brushproperties.cpp
properties/rectangleproperties.cpp \
        properties/lineproperties.cpp properties/pencilproperties.cpp
properties/penproperties.cpp \
        properties/imageproperties.cpp

But when running make, when it tries to compile one of the sources in a
subdirectory I get this error:

source='store/animation.cpp' object='animation.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/animation.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/animation.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../admin/depcomp \
#>-     g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/qt3//include
-I/usr/X11R6/include  -I../src  -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT
-Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -Wundef -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith
-Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align
-Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -O2 -Wformat-security
-Wmissing-format-attribute -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -c -o
animation.o `test -f 'store/animation.cpp' || echo './'`store/animation.cpp
../admin/depcomp: line 60: -MT: command not found
make[2]: *** [animation.o] Error 127

In line 60 of depcomp is this check:

case "$depmode" in
gcc3)
## gcc 3 implements dependency tracking that does exactly what
## we want.  Yay!  Note: for some reason libtool 1.4 doesn't like
## it if -MD -MP comes after the -MF stuff.  Hmm.
  "$@" -MT "$object" -MD -MP -MF "$tmpdepfile" <---- line 60
  stat=$?
  if test $stat -eq 0; then :
  else
    rm -f "$tmpdepfile"
    exit $stat
  fi
  mv "$tmpdepfile" "$depfile"
  ;;

The files that aren't in a subdir compile fine.

Any ideas? how should I write Makefile.am so this doesn't happen?

Thanks in advance,
--
Juan Luis Baptiste
http://www.merlinux.org