Re: Automake feature request

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Automake feature request
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:47:07 +0100

Hi Ben,

* Ben Elliston wrote on Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 03:41:46AM CET:
> I approached the Libtool maintainers with this request, who convinced
> me that Automake was the right place to implement this.  I would like
> Automake-generated Makefiles to pass --quiet to libtool when make is
> invoked with -s.

Shortly after your (or somebody else's) request, Automake implemented
use of LIBTOOLFLAGS.

> At present, even when compiling with make -s, libtool echoes the
> commands it is compiling/linking with.  Libtool can know how make is
> invoked, by MAKEFLAGS, but it really ought not to be doing this, as
> libtool might not be invoked via make.  Automake's generated Makefiles
> sit in between and I believe this is the right place to glue in the
> logic.

Either use
  make -s LIBTOOLFLAGS=--silent
or
  configure LIBTOOLFLAGS=--silent
or some nice hack to enable this automatically in configure.ac
mentioned in the discussion at that time[1].

Regards,
Ralf

[1] http://www.google.de/search?q=libtool+%22--silent%22+site%3Alists.gnu.org
The thread moved between several of the GNU lists.