Re: macro search path

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: macro search path
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:38:39 +0100

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 17:44 +0100, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> Hello,
>   node "Macro search path" describes several ways how one can tell aclocal
> where to search for macro files.
>
> Please consider the following scenario:
>       /opt/gnome28 contains Gnome 2.8
>       /opt/gnome210 contains Gnome 2.10
>
> Then I sometimes want to search
>       /opt/gnome28/share/aclocal
> sometimes
>       /opt/gnome210/share/aclocal
> but never both.

> In both cases, a colon separated env. variable ACLOCAL_PATH would
> solve the problem neatly.
I doubt it would solve your problem.

Imagine a macro file is only present in one of the directories. You'd
end up with the risk of mixing macros from both directories.

To work around this issue, you'd have to switch "ACLOCAL_PATH" depending
on which directory you'd want to use.

As a work-around to this problem, I once had been using wrapper scripts
to aclocal, located in corresponding */bin directories and to switch
PATH.

[Meanwhile I found it easier and less error-prone to install appropriate
autotool-toolchains several times using different prefixes.]