Easy way to have a make target that omits some files?

From: Kevin Teich
Subject: Easy way to have a make target that omits some files?
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:46:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I would like to add a target to our source tree that only installs certain files such 'make install' will install everything normally, but 'make release' will only install certain files.

We have many subdirectories with between 1 and 100 files in each. Currently we do this in a bad mixture of ways, but mostly we have a target 'release' that calls NORMAL_INSTALL and then manually removes files from the installed directory. This is kind of ugly and inefficient because it installs unwanted files first.

Is there an elegant way of doing this, perhaps by modifying _SCRIPTS or _PROGRAMS variables in the Makefile.am based on the make target (install or release)?

Thanks.

--
Kevin Teich