Re: Understanding mkinstalldirs

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Understanding mkinstalldirs
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:17:22 +0200

Hello,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 11:41:33AM -0700, Marc Singer wrote:
> I'm building part of GPE that was recently updated to support
> autotools.

in fact, you are not using "pure autotools".  Your configure.ac
looks very similar to the ones I see in the Gnome project.
[See the footnote.]

To build a project from Gnome, I usually start by running ./autogen.sh,
checked out from the CVS with the project.  This is a small script,
which calls gnome-autogen.sh from the package gnome-common for the
actual work.

To create autogen.sh, grab a tamplate and adjust it.  I'm attaching
one, based on goffice/autogen.sh .

> The build process is failing because it cannot find mkinstalldirs.

When I tried gnumeric/autogen.sh, the mkinstalldirs script was
installed by glib-gettextize, which is called from autogen.sh.

> AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT
> AC_PROG_INTLTOOL([0.23])

When you use glib-gettext, you could perhaps make sure you are using
the latest version.  It comes with glib, so you could try glib-2.6.4
You might also try to use the latest intltools, as suggested in the
attached autogen.sh.

(I don't sit at #gnome, but if you wanted to contact me, you can try
#kasal at irc.gnome.org or irc.freenode.net.)

Hope this helps,
        Stepan Kasal

Footnote:
---------
Unfortunately, the "Gnome development environment" has diverged
slightly from pure autotools.  I don't like it, I'd like to see the two
devel. environments to converge back, and I want to help with it...

Anyway, the situation is as it is.  So you'd get better help in the
gnome community, eg. in the channel #gnome at irc.gnome.org.