F90 vs. F77

From: Scott Kruger
Subject: F90 vs. F77
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:33:46 -0600

I have a program with pure f90 as such I have defined the variables FC
and FCFLAGS in my configure.in, but I don't define F77.  When I look at
my makefile.in, I see this as my target for the .o files:

.f90.o:
      $(F77COMPILE) -c -o $@ $<

This fails because I don't have F77 defined.  I've seen old emails about
this, but from them, I am unclear what the resolution is.  Why don't f90
files use FC?

I am using automake version 1.8.2

Scott

--