Re: Copying headers, libraries from subdirs to top-level include, lib in

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Copying headers, libraries from subdirs to top-level include, lib in "make all"
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:35:40 +0200

Hi Fred,

Sorry for the late answer, I overlooked your message earlier.
I hope it's still of value to you.

* Fred Proctor wrote on Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 06:21:46PM CEST:
> I have code in some subdirectories, say src/{bottom,middle,top}, which
> when compiled yields libraries that I want copied up to the top-level
> include/ and lib/ directories. Code in middle/ will reference headers
> and libs from bottom/, code from top/ will reference headers and libs
> from middle/ and bottom/.
>
> How can I get these headers and libs copied up during the "make all"
> default target?

There are possibilities for doing this, and if you want to pursue it,
you should probably look into subdir-objects and building the library
in the topleven dirs in the first place.

However, I don't think that is what you should do.  It sounds like you
want something like the
  make install
step, except that your installed tree coincides with your build tree.
May I suggest to rethink this design.  There are very good reasons to
have them separate.  For example, you can always just throw away the
build tree and still keep using the install tree.  There is more
documentation about this in the Automake manual.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards,