Re: BUILT_SOURCES too clumsy

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: BUILT_SOURCES too clumsy
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:19:09 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 05:02:09PM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> The targets in BUILT_SOURCES are unconditionally built for
> 'make all' and 'make install' and 'make check'. Very clumsy.

yes, it is.  Yet it can be useful in certain situations.

> I would like to generate some code for an optional convenience
> library exactly when needed.

Perhaps you could place the library to a separate directory.
Then you'd use AM_CONDITIONAL(MYLIB, ...) in configure.ac
and

if MYLIB
  SUBDIRS += mylib
endif

to control whether the recursion of make goes into that dir.

If the make won't recurse, it won't build BUILT_SOURCES there.

Yes, this is just another workaround, but perhaps it'll help you.

Stepan Kasal