using same automake conditional twice doesn't work?

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: using same automake conditional twice doesn't work?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 09:48:03 -0600

Howdy all!

The following automake file attempts to add two subdirs, "fortran" and
"nf_test", if the BUILD_F77 automake conditional is true. But this
fails:

SUBDIRS = man

if BUILD_F77
SUBDIRS += fortran
endif

SUBDIRS += libsrc nc_test ncgen ncdump nctest

# If we're building the f77 API, test it too.
if BUILD_F77
SUBDIRS += nf_test
endif

The problem is that nf_test is not added to the end of the list, it is
added as the third item. So instead of trying to build in this order:

man fortran libsrc nc_test ncgen ncdump nctest nf_test

The resulting makefiles build in this order, which fails:

man fortran nf_test libsrc nc_test ncgen ncdump nctest

Is this a know Automake feature, or am I doing something wrong?

What I do to get around this is define an extra automake conditional,
TEST_F77, at the same time I define BUILD_F77. By using first
BUILD_F77, then TEST_F77, automake does things in the correct order.

Any comments or observations would be helpful.

Thanks!

Ed

--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden