Re: back to directory dependencies

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: back to directory dependencies
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:14:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

But I have another problem with SUBDIRS. As I mentioned in the previous
thread, specifying -j starts building of l1 and src1 in parallel. l1
lasts longer, and src1 fails due to missing l1. So I think I really need
dependencies rather than sequence. What do you think?

Which `make' does that?  I can't seem to get GNU make to do so.
(If it's GNU make, the quick'n'dirty solution would be to add
.NOTPARALLEL:
to the toplevel Makefile.am.  But that helps only for GNU make.)

Note that he said `-j', not `-j 2', or `-j 8'. Without an argument -j is something close to infinite parallelism so it should indeed start considering the next directory as well. If I use -j without an argument, the GraphicsMagick build blows up. Under Darwin, it seems that the blowup could be due to inability to fork.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn