Re: how to run a test file with command line options...

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: how to run a test file with command line options...
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:24:03 +0200

Hi Ed,

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 10:09:05PM CEST:

> If I have some tests, and want to run them with command line options,
> how do I do it?

You are using the Automake builtin support for tests.  It's quite
limited, and I believe it cannot do what you want.

> For example, I have to have a shell script to run tst_parallel below,
> because it needs to be called with the poe command, and some env vars
> set. In other cases, I need to call test program with some command
> line options.

If you don't want to stick with this, there are alternative testing
frameworks:  Autoconf's Autotest -- see the Autoconf documentation
(since it's a bit underdocumented and declared not yet as mature, it
may help to look at how other packages use it in order to get going).
Otherwise, there is always DejaGNU (big, complicated but can do a lot
of stuff).

I believe there are more testing frameworks, but cannot think of any
at the moment.  I personally use both the simple Automake TESTS for
easy stuff, and Autotest for some more involved stuff.

Regards,