Re: Non recursive directory style.

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Non recursive directory style.
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:07:55 +0200

Hi Patrick,

* Patrick Scheibe * SMC Trust wrote on Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:20:56AM CEST:

> Is it possible to have a directory style like
>
> Root/
>   +--Linux
>   +----MSW
>   +----src
>
> and to have all the autoconf, automake stuff in the Linux dir?

First: What exactly is "the autoconf, automake" stuff?
You can get some stuff in a subdirectory, but not all:
configure/configure.ac, the toplevel Makefile (plus eventual input files
for it) need most likely remain there.  (configure* can be moved with a
trick, at least for older Autoconf versions; but you don't want that.)

See AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR and AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR (if you use aclocal) for
more info.

Second: This stuff is very most likely not only suitable for GNU/Linux.
In fact, were your software for GNU/Linux only, I would not see the need
for the autotools.

> I have problems when I define
> SUBDIRS=../src

I believe SUBDIRS needs to contain directories that are subdirectories
of the current one.

> There are compiling errors coming from the .. in the path.
> Is there a howto/tutorial or sample?

<http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/>

Regards,