Re: Post installation activities

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Post installation activities
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:32:43 +0200

* John Ling wrote on Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 05:38:03PM CEST:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >* John Ling wrote on Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 12:34:03AM CEST:
> >
> >>Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to do post-install work on the
> >>install header directory after an install using some sort of target?
> >>
> >>I tried using install-exec-hook, but the target fails to find any
> >>headers to work on because at that point include_HEADERS apparently has
> >>not even been processed.
> >
> >Try install-data-hook.
>
> I tried:
>
> install-data-hook:
>         mv $(prefix)/include/*.h $(prefix)/include/tclap

This does not work for several reasons:
- You should prepend $(DESTDIR) to paths which Automake cannot fix
  itself:
     do_something_with $(DESTDIR)$(prefix)/...

- You should be using $(includedir) instead of $(prefix)/include

- The destination directory may not be empty -- don't mess with other
  packages' files, please, by using wild cards.

> But still by this point $(prefix)/include contains no files to move.

I cannot reproduce this with 1.9.5 or 1.4-p6.  Which Automake version is
this?

> I think I will just copy it from the source tree itself.

If all you want to do is put your headers someplace other than
$(includedir), there is a really easy and clean solution:

tclapdir = $(includedir)/tclap
tclap_HEADERS = header1.h ...

If furthermore `tclap' is the name of your package, you might just want
to use $(pkgincludedir).  Independently of both of this, you might want
to check out the feature of prepending nobase_ to the *_HEADERS
variable.

Regards,