Re: broken make distclean...

From: David Fang
Subject: Re: broken make distclean...
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:23:15 -0400 (EDT)

> I recently started seeing the following problem doing a make distclean:
>
> rm -rf ../libsrc/.deps ./.deps

Hi,
        (Autotools amateur here, so please correct me nicely if I'm wrong!
:) )  I'd say the above line is the problem is the above line, where your
Makefile is touching something that's not an immediate subdirectory, i.e.
cross-removing .deps files in ../libsrc while it's operating in libsrc4.
Generally one should avoid that because the .deps files are always
generated and read by the Makefiles.  distclean is particularly sensitive
to this.  Does your Makefile .am have ../libsrc in the SUBDIRS?  I'm
guessing that might have caused it.  When distclean cleaned the
directories in reverse order, it pulled the wheels out from under the
cart.
        (complete stab in the dark) If libsrc really depends on something
being built in a sister directory, you might resort to other tricks to
make a correct build, like depending on SUBDIR ordering, making cross-
directory links, or explicit jumps to that directory ($(MAKE) -C foo).

> rm -f Makefile
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ed/netcdf-3/libsrc4'
> Making distclean in libsrc
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/ed/netcdf-3/libsrc'
> Makefile:364: .deps/attr.Plo: No such file or directory
> Makefile:365: .deps/dim.Plo: No such file or directory
> Makefile:366: .deps/error.Plo: No such file or directory
> Makefile:367: .deps/libvers.Plo: No such file or directory
> Makefile:368: .deps/nc.Plo: No such file or directory
> Makefile:369: .deps/ncx.Plo: No such file or directory
> Makefile:370: .deps/posixio.Plo: No such file or directory
> Makefile:371: .deps/putget.Plo: No such file or directory
> Makefile:372: .deps/string.Plo: No such file or directory
> Makefile:373: .deps/v1hpg.Plo: No such file or directory
> Makefile:374: .deps/v2i.Plo: No such file or directory
> Makefile:375: .deps/var.Plo: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `.deps/var.Plo'.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ed/netcdf-3/libsrc'
> make: *** [
> distclean-recursive] Error 1
>
> I've got no clue what's going on here.

Hope this helps.