Re: multiple AM_INIT_AUTOMAKEs cause problems

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: multiple AM_INIT_AUTOMAKEs cause problems
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 07:45:24 +0200

Hello,

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 01:42:19PM -0400, Christopher Sean Morrison wrote:
>         AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
>         AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([no-dependencies])

I think that this option tells automake to generate different Makefile.in,
which is horter and doesn't include the code for dependency tracking.

As the Makefile.in is distributed in the tarball, you cannot have both
versions in one tarball.  Thus you have to decide at the time when
automake is run, not when configure is run.

You can use m4 conditions to achive what you want; for example:

dnl Uncomment this to get a distribution tarball:
dnl m4_define([foo_distrib])
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(m4_ifdef([foo_distrib], [[no-dependencies]])

or, if your CVS (non-production) versions have a specific version number,
say they end with a letter:

m4_define([foo_version], [1.2.3a])
AC_INIT([Foo], foo_version, address@hidden)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(m4_bmatch(foo_version, [[a-z]$], [[no-dependencies]]))

I haven't tested these examples, but I hope they'll help you anyway.

=== A different kind of answer:
With gcc, the dependency info is generated as a side effect of the
compilation.  If you can use gcc, you might find out that the speedup
is not worth all these complications.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan Kasal