Re: make distcheck fails for simple Makefile.am

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: make distcheck fails for simple Makefile.am
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:28:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Roger Leigh wrote:

I was probably not clear.  CUPS has a configure script, with which I
can specify --prefix and whatever other configure options I like.  For
any given CUPS installation, there will therefore be a defined set of
directories in which to install backend drivers, filter drivers and
driver data.  Because its a "service", running as root/lpadmin, it is
not user-extensible.  The search path for extensions is fixed to a set
of directories within its configured prefix, one per extension type
(e.g. $prefix/share/cups/model and $exec_prefix/lib/cups/filter).

My package is a CUPS _driver_, i.e. an extension.  It asks CUPS (via
cups-config) what those configure options were.  It makes no sense for
this to be a configure option in _my_ script: if it doesn't use the
ones from CUPS, CUPS will not see my driver, because it installed in
the wrong place.  My package could be configured with a totally
different prefix, and it will happily install its shared libraries,
modules and data there, but the parts that bridge with CUPS must go
where CUPS wants them.

Great. So if you driver is a program, you could presumably establish a cups program directory via

cupsdir = $(CUPS_DRIVER_DIR)
cups_PROGRAMS = mydriver

mydriver_SOURCES = source.c
mydriver_CPPFLAGS = $(CUPS_CPPFLAGS)
mydriver_LDFLAGS =  $(CUPS_LDFLAGS)
mydriver_LDADD   = -lcups

Where CUPS_DRIVER_DIR, CUPS_CPPFLAGS, and CUPS_LDFLAGS are substitutions from your configure script. The configure script will execute any necessary utility in order to obtain CUPS build options and install directories.

In this case, CUPS_DRIVER_DIR does not need to be derived from $prefix, but it should at least observe $(DESTDIR). Perhaps $(DESTDIR)$(CUPS_DRIVER_DIR) is safest.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn