Re: I: adjust test suite for upcoming GNU Make 3.83

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: I: adjust test suite for upcoming GNU Make 3.83
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:08:47 +0200

>>> "adl" == Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 pds> I don't know whether automake currently works correctly
 pds> for Java with any other version of make, but this would
 pds> definitely cause that not to be the case going forward.

 adl> I believe $-filenames works only with GNU make.

Scratch that, I was mistaken by the test case.  I restricted the
test case to GNU make when I discovered it was failing with
Solaris make.  But $$ works fine with other make implementations
such as BSD make and Tru64 make.

Maybe that is another argument in favor of a way to disable
second-expansion?  I really think this is the best solution so
far.  It sounds simple to me because it is localized (just
"don't run the second expansion in make", as opposed to "edit
every single rule that other tools like Automake output or that
people write"), and it's generally useful (allowing to write
Makefiles that are portable to the aforementioned make
implementations).
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz