Re: How does one specify -Wall?

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: How does one specify -Wall?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:44:03 +0200

Hello,

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 01:51:07PM -0400, David Ohlemacher wrote:
> Stepan Kasal wrote:
> >On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 11:13:51PM -0400, David Ohlemacher wrote:
> >>When I try to add -Wall to it, I get lots of errors.
> >
> >Don't you get the same errors if you run "automake -Wall" ?
> >
> Yes, I do get that error from the commandline.  The only way I am able
> to build with -Wall is to specify it in KDev's project file.  It only
> applies if building from within KDev.

That might be the root of the misunderstanding: which program should give
you maximal amount of warnings?  gcc, autoconf, or automake.

With "automake -Wall", or AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wall]), you tell Automake to
warn you about possible problems in your Makefile.am's which you haven't
wrote, since they were generated.

You probably want to give that option to the C compiler.
That means you have to run
        ./configure CPPFLAGS=-Wall

> >>I do not seem to have a configure.ac.  Instead I have a configure.in.
> >
> >configure.in is an obsolete name for the Autoconf source file, but
> >it still works.
> >
> I am using files generated by KDevelop 3.1.1.

Is it right that not only configure.in, but also Makefile.am's are
generated by Kdevelop?

Thus you have no easy way to modernize them.  Just trust KDevelop that
it will work, even though it makes use of obsolete features of Autotools.

A side note:
> >         AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR(src/foo.c)
> It seems strange to config a source dir variable with a source
> file...src/foo.c

The above line says to Autoconf: "you recognize the unpacked tarball
(the source directory) by the fact that it contains src/foo.c".
It's a modern form of previous AC_INIT(src/foo.c), which is also present
in your configure.in:

> AC_INIT(configure.in)

Happy hacking,
        Stepan Kasal