Re: multiple configure.ac --> single aclocal.m4

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: multiple configure.ac --> single aclocal.m4
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 19:53:52 +0200

Hello,

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 12:05:40PM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
> I have a large package with many subpackages.
> each subpackage has its own configure.ac.
> how do I generate aclocal.m4?
> (I would rather not create a dozen separate aclocal.m4 files
> - one for each subpackage)

that wouldn't be easy to achieve.

There are two possible setups:

1) Either the subpackages are autonomous, usually not under your control...

Then let each package do what it needs to configure itself, including
its own aclocal.m4.

2) ... or the subpackages are not _that_ autonomous.

Than it makes more sense to create one big configure, which checks for
all necessary things and then generates all necessary makefiles and such.

If there are checks which are needed only for one "subpackage", you can
put that parts of configure.ac to subpackage/config_frag and use
m4_include to include that into the main configure.ac.

> /usr/share/aclocal/freetype2.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of
> AC_CHECK_FT2
>   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
>   or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
>
> [so is the file freetype2.m4 that came with automake broken?!]

The file freetype2.m4 came with freetype.

This bug was fixed in freetype 2.1.6.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan