Re: how to extend the Makefile templates?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: how to extend the Makefile templates?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:11:56 +0200

Hi Harald,

* Harald Dunkel wrote on Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 12:39:46PM CEST:

> I would need some way to add recursive targets to all generated
> Makefiles, without asking every owner of every Makefile.am
> to append some include statement or some keyword to be replaced
> by AC_SUBST_FILE.

Hmm.  I remember you asking a similar question before.

> What would be your suggestion to solve this?

I don't have a good answer to your specific question at the moment
(short of extending Automake).  But I have a suggestion for questions
such as yours:

For other people (e.g. me), requirements such as above would be much
easier to understand if a good reason for it was given as well.
I mean, what is it that prevents you from doing something like this

  find $top_srcdir -name Makefile.am | while read file
  do
    echo 'include $top_srcdir/some_snippet.am' >>"$file"
  done

once and for all?